BulLetIN SEPTEMBER 12, 2013
OFFICE BEARERS 2013 / 2014
Rotary District 9465 for more information visit: http://rotary9465.org.au/
Meeting September 2nd
President, George Lewkowski, welcomed all members and gave a special welcome to:
· Guest speaker Professor Yogesan (Yogi) Kanagasingam and his son, Rishi
· A.G. Bob Thompson
· Terry Southam
Winston Marsh announced with regret that Colin Taylor’s mother had passed away today at the fine age of 105 years and three months.
Rod Rate announced that Max Binning, a member of Fremantle Rotary, had passed away last Thursday and invited members to attend his funeral tomorrow.
Rod circulated the Fremantle Hospital Medical Research Association’s annual review that contained a glowing report on last year’s golf day.
Rod announced the fund raising meeting will now be held at Tompkins on Swan at 4.30pm.
Patricia Robertson spoke about:
· A walk on Sunday for ‘Parkinson’s WA’.
· ‘Give up Booze for October’ to help Aussie Kids.
· ‘Climb for a Smile’ in October
· Two students have been accepted for the Science Forum.
· A suggested forum to discuss using funds from The Neil Henley Foundation to undertake a substantial project of benefit to Attadale and Rotary.
President George asked members to forward any ideas to Patricia over the next few days.
AG Bob Thomas spoke about:
· relayed best wishes from DG Owen Biemel who will visit us on October 21
· a workshop on ‘Visualizing Your Club in Five Years’
· Pushing membership in clubs
· John Murray, of Fremantle Rotary, has a surplus of speakers for the Four Way speech
· Attendance at the International Convention
The team then moved on to using ocular markers to detect amyloid deposits. It is a very cost effective, non-invasive method that Yogi hopes will make early detection of Alzheimer’s Disease practical and reliable.
Meeting September 9th
President, George Lewkowski, welcomed all members to the meeting and gave a special welcome to guest speaker Ros Worthington and visiting Applecross Rotarians, John Kevan and his wife, Melodie.
Mike van Trier announced, with great pride and passion, the safe arrival of a granddaughter, Madeline.
Mal Bennett announced that next year’s Crabbing Day will be held on February 2nd
Colin Taylor thanked all members for their condolences and especially those who came to the funeral of his mother.
Gail McCulloch reminded us that the pig and the joker raffle are being trialed on Gillian’s table.
John Sharp repeated his request that all subscriptions be paid as soon as possible.
John drew our attention to the power point presentation showing his diving trip funded by his big win in ‘chase the joker’.
Patricia Robertson spoke about:
· The Job Seekers’ Seminar that will be held on Tuesday, November 26th. (About 25 interviewers will be required)
· Raffle tickets for “Climb for a Smile”.
· Following her comments about a major project to be funded from the Neil Henley Foundation Patricia pointed out that the original suggestion actually came from respected Rotarian Colin Taylor, a good friend of Neil. A club forum will be held on October 7th to discuss what could be done for the people of Attadale and raise the profile of the RCA.
John Kevan announced that the RC of Applecross will hold their Jacaranda Festival on Saturday, November 23rd and hoped that our members would support it.
Colin McCulloch reminded us that the first Sausage Sizzle at Woolworths raised about $220. We have another SS this Saturday 14th, that we will try to streamline. Colin and Gail will set up and work until 11.00am then hand over to two volunteers until 1.00pm. They will return and work until pack up around 2.00pm. Many thanks to Patricia Robertson and Bob Rodgers for volunteering for the 11.00am to 1.00pm shift.
The Sergeant ran a fines session, Colin McCulloch won the door prize and Robin Hamilton won chase the joker.
Gillian Baker celebrated her birthday by providing delicious cup cakes for us all to enjoy with our tea and coffee.
spearheaded Lifeline WA's HelpME campaign helping to lift the veil on depression and suicide.
Her tireless campaigning was recognised in 2009 when she was named WA's Philanthropist of the Year and she was recently listed amongst the state's '100 Most Influential'.
Sausage Sizzle Rosters
We have Sausage Sizzles at Bunnings on Saturday, October 19 and Sunday, December 1.
As Rod is away Colin will be doing the rosters so if you have a preference for the Saturday or Sunday or time of day please email me and I will try to accommodate your preferences.