BulLetIN AUGUST 21, 2016
MEETING THIS WEEK AT ‘TOMPKINS ON SWAN’
Monday, August 22nd, 2016 6.00pm for 6.30pm
Guest Speakers: Murdoch Fire & Emergency Services
Set Up & Pack Up: Llew Withers & George Lewkowski
Host: Nick Odorisio Chair: Mick Donnes
Please remember: If you are unable to do a duty please find someone to replace you.
Monday, August 15th
We hope that all of our guests enjoyed the evening and know that they would be warmly welcomed to attend any future meetings.
Meeting Date Change
After a vote by members it was agreed to cancel the RCA meeting on Monday 31st October. Instead members would attend the Welcome Dinner for the Rotary Vocational Training Team from Sri Lanka on Wednesday 2nd November at Tompkins on Swan
It will be hosted by the Rotary Club of Applecross starting at 7.00pm, $25 pp with a cash bar.
It should be a very interesting evening as the team of clinical scientists will make a presentation of their personal stories and what they hope to achieve during their stay in Perth.
Invitations will go out to all Rotary Clubs to enable Rotarians and Partners to attend.
John notified the meeting that a list of what is required to Set Up and Pack Up will be in the box.
Combined Social and Fund Raiser Evening
George has organised a dinner for 6.30pm at an Indian Restaurant, 24 Kearns Crescent, Applecross for Wednesday 24th August at a cost of $35 a head plus a bonus of tasting George's white wines for just $5.
Martin gave a delightful introduction to our guest speaker:
Police Detective Inspector Tim Thomas.
Tim gave a very interesting talk on Cyber Crime and it's Effect on us Today.
Technology Crime Services investigates serious and complex electronic crime matters which may lead to identifying and prosecuting offenders.
He answered a wide range of questions fom the audience.
Martin still has Entertainment Books for sale at $65 each. The club receives $13 for each book sold so please help Martin in this fund raising venture.
Thank you Giovanna, Nick and Colin for providing a great range of cakes to enjoy with coffee.
Bob claimed he had won the door prize but could not find his ticket. After much searching and many comments he finally produced the winning ticket.
John gave a very informative talk with accompanying slides on
"What Rotary is and What it Does, Internationally and Locally"
He stressed that many effective and successful programmes undertaken by Rotary around the world have begun with an idea by just one person.
If you will not be attending the meeting please email the Attendance Officer, Greg James, or phone him on Mob 0427 020 682 before 10.00am on Monday.
Please DO NOT send text messages to 0435 305 199 as they do not transfer from the Club phone to the Attendance Officer's phone.
Unless Greg receives an apology by 10.00am on the day of the meeting the meal will need to be charged to you, and the procedure to recover costs for non apology will be:
a) Attendance officer to report to Treasurer at end of each meeting names of those who didn’t show and didn’t apologise
b) Treasurer to submit all Attendance Officer reports to monthly Board meeting to authorise recovery – valid excuses accepted
c) Treasurer to issue invoices to members monthly following Board meeting based on b).
If members are unable to undertake their allocated duty on any date please arrange a swap.
The setting up Rotarians shall:
· Arrive at least 30 mins before the meeting starting time
· Retrieve the Australian flag(s), the Sergeant's gavel and gong, collection box, international pig, President's dais with Chain of Office, two bottles of wine and a gift coaster for the Guest Speaker
· The small flags shall be spread around the tables and the large flag shall be appropriately displayed
· The Sergeant's and President's items are to be placed on the President's table
· The microphone provided by Tompkins on Swan shall be turned on and tested
· At the completion of the meeting, all items shall be returned to the storeroom cupboard
The hosts shall:
· Arrive at least 30 minutes before meeting starting time
· Retrieve the wooden badge holder cabinet from the storeroom and place it within greeting area
· Greet all Rotarians with a handshake and give them their badge.
· Greet guests and welcome them and introduce them to at least two Rotarians
· Greet the guest speaker if the Chairperson is unavailable
· After the meeting, retrieve all name badges , place them in the wooden cabinet and return to storeroom
The chairperson shall:
· Read the Bulletin in advance and then contact Program Director for CV of speaker
· Arrive at Dinner Meeting venue at least 35 mins before starting time
· Greet and welcome the GS at the entrance and introduce them to the President and at least four Rotarians
· Assist the GS to setup his/her audio/visual and any other aids
· Show GS where to sit down for dinner on President's table and where to speak
· Advise GS to speak for 20-30 minutes (or as agreed with Program Director) including questions
· Introduce the GS by name and topic when requested by the Sergeant or President
· Formally introduce the GS by written CV addressing name, vocation, qualifications, family (if appropriate), interests and lastly topic
· Chair the speaker session allowing one question per Rotarian or Guest
· Terminate the session with the presentation of the gift coaster (from Secretary)
· Escort the GS to the door after the meeting (and to their vehicle if appropriate)