Bulletin August 25, 2008
Vol26 No. 07 Newsletter Date: 25 August 2008
The ATTADALE View
Monday 01 September 2008
6.30 pm for 7.00 pm
Dr. Chris Back
September Setting Up - Bob Rodgers. Sonya Rosbotham and John Sharp.
September Hosts - Tom Slater, Russel Smailes and Geoff Spickett
Official Bulletin of the Rotary Club of Attadale West Australia
PO Box 110 Melville WA 6156
APOLOGIES to Peter Knox Tel: 9330 2559
By 10am Mondays
DG Visit 25th August
President Carole welcomed all to the meeting and introduced District Governor Zaki Dorkham and his wife Samar
A third highlight was the announcement by Carole that PP Greg James would be leading the Group Study Exchange Team to Brazil. Wonderful news – congratulations Greg.
President Elect Martin
Drew attention to the Attadale Rotary’s Club new website, see below, which is up and running on http://attadale.rotaryclub.asn.au
It is most impressive!
Martin also advised that the Red Cross Blood Bank will be setting up adjacent to the sausage sizzle at Bunning’s this weekend and will be seeking pledges from prospective blood donors. Our club will be providing a free sausage and bun to each prospective donor.
A cheque for $ 2,000 was presented by Treasurer Trevor Leaver to District Governor Zaki towards Rotary Foundation.
Jenny Calcei 07th September
Adrienne Cotterell 13th September
Pat Leaver 15th September
Bob Rodger 09/09/91
Anne and George Lewkowski 08th September
District Governor’s Visit
District Governor Zaki Dorkham gave us a most interesting talk on Rotary today, drawing attention to the interaction between clubs and Rotary International. He compared each club to a brick which could function on its own as an individual club, but when cemented together with other bricks formed one solid body. The bricks were the clubs and the cement which bonded them together was Rotary International.
In today’s World there was a need for change- he agreed that the response to change could be quite challenging and can be most difficult. On the matter of membership he drew attention to the fact that in the history of Rotary, only 18% of Rotarians had introduced a member to Rotary.
There was also a need to greater publicize Rotary. He quoted a case in his own vocation as a GP, where most of his colleagues working with him were not aware that it was through an initiative of Rotary that a Medical School was established at UWA 53 years ago to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Rotary.
To further the challenges in Rotary, Zaki quoted a recent case in the eastern Mediterranean where the Rotary District covered nine separated countries. When the District Governor visited the 79 clubs in the District he was met at the airport with an interpreter to cover the four different languages spoken in the area and a bodyguard for good measure.
At least our DG does not have either of those problems, although there are times that we could do with an interpreter - refer KT)
PRIZE LISTS August 25
Door Prizes Pat Timmel
Unlucky Joker Freya Taylor
Footy Tipping Jacquie Pittaway
Attendance 23 + 4 make ups = 27/36 = 75%
District Governor Zaki and Samar Dorkham, Dale Davies (son-in – law of John and Nancy Bray), exchange student Romero from Switzerland and 8 partners
· Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st August - Sausage Sizzle – Bunning’s
· Monday 01st September - Guest Speaker –Dr. Chris Back
· Monday 08th September - First Heat -Four Way Test Speaking Contest students from Santa Maria College – partners welcome – normal time 6.00pm for 6.30pm.
· Wednesday 10th September – Progressive Dinner 6.00pm for 6.30pm at parking area behind 777 at Riseley Street
· Wednesday 10th September- Community Mental Health Forum - Melville Civic Centre Main hall 7.00pm to 9.00pm hosted by Rotary Club of Applecross – free admission and light supper provided - contact Ray on 9364 7141.
· Monday 15th September – Forum/ Committee meeting
· Tuesday 16th September – An Evening with Lijia Zhang at All Saints College, Ewing Avenue, Bull Creek 7.00pm promptly - “ Socialism is Great” – cost $ 15pp – contact 9313 9357.
· Saturday 20th September – Storm the Stage National Production at 8.00pm at Burswood Entertainment Complex – a national production for 16 – 18 year old drama and musical theatre students, an initiative of the Rotary Clubs of Cannington in association with the Rotary Clubs of West Perth, Melville and the Rotaract Club of South Perth. - . Tickets – adult $30, concession $20, family $ 80 (2 adults and 2 children under 16 years ) and group bookings with 10 adults or more at $25 each - contact Tanya on 9498 5880 or www.stormthestage.com.au
· Sunday 21st September - Men’s Health Promotion Forum – 9.00am to 4.30pm at the University Club of WA Hackett Drive, entrance 1, Crawley – presented by Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia - Cost $25 per person - contact 1800 2200 99 or 02 9438 7000 or email@example.com,au.
· Saturday 27th, Sunday 28th September - Sausage Sizzle
· Sunday 12th October - Car Trial/ Picnic
· Saturday 18th, Sunday 19th October – Sausage Sizzle
· Monday 20th October - Forum/ Committee meeting
· Monday 10th November – Combined meeting Attadale Probus and Rotary
· Saturday 15th, Sunday 16th November- Sausage Sizzle
· Monday 17th November - Forum/ Committee meeting
· Wednesday 26th November – Prospective members Sundowner
· Monday 1st December – Rotary Family Entertainment Night
· Monday 22nd December - Xmas Party
· Saturday 27th Monday to Monday 29th December – Water Polo – Parking
· Friday 2nd January 2009 – Barbecue Night
· Sunday 8th February 2009 – Crabbing Day
· Sunday 22nd February – Bowls Night
· Tba – Picture Theatre Night
· Tba - Weekend Away - possibly in April 2009
A /Sergeant Mick Donnes assisted by David Maxwell
Bob Rodgers and Ian Pittaway for misplacing valuable documents – this is a favourite pre meeting pastime of the acting one grabbing anything lying around.
Llew Withers for being awarded a PHF and apparently having enough time in his very busy work and rotary schedule to dwell on other things !
Adrienne and Graham Cotterell for their wedding anniversary on 27th August
Pat and Keith Timmel for their 53rd and 55th wedding anniversary for 5th September - confused? - so was Keith
Colin and Dot Treloar on the birth of another granddaughter.
Dale Davies for being John Bray’s son-in- law. John always gets fined and just because he wasn’t there does not preclude a relation from copping it
…and while you were slaving away Mick cooking up fines this is what the real sergeant was doing
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE
Osama Bin Laden decided to send George Bush a letter in his own handwriting to let him know he was still in the game. Bush opened the letter and it contained a single line of coded message:
was baffled, so he e-mailed it to Condoleezza Rice. Condi and her aides
hadn't a clue either, so they sent it to the FBI. No one could solve it
at the FBI so
it went to the CIA, then to MI6 and Mossad. Eventually they asked
Australia Intelligence (ASIO) for help. Within a minute, ASIO emailed
the White House with
Some Post Games Trivia - 2008 Olympic Games
On head of population Australia won 6.54 Gold Medals per ten million people against China’s 0. 38 Gold per ten million people
Medal Count / each 10 million people
Australia 6.54 Australia 21.51
Great Britain 3.12 Great Britain 7.71
South Korea 2.69 South Korea 6.43
Germany 1.95 Ukraine 5.86
USA 1.81 Russia` 5.07
Russia 1.62 Germany 4.99
Ukraine 1.52 Italy 4.69
Italy 1.34 USA 3.61
Japan 0.71 Japan 1.96
China 0.38 China 0.75
over to you Russell -- Max