BulLetIN, APRIL 12, 2016
MEETINGS AT ‘TOMPKINS ON SWAN’
Monday, April 18th, 2016 6.00pm for 6.30pm
Guest Speaker: Sarah Phillips - Fremantle Sea Rescue
Host: Ron Day Chair: Ron Day Set Up: Martin Houchin & Tom Slater
Monday, May 2nd, 2016 6.00pm for 6.30pm
Guest Speaker: Andrew Pittaway - Finding Lost Diggers' Graves
Host: Fred Soale Chair: Max Anderson Set Up: Mal Bennett & Robin Hamilton
Monday, April 4th
President Carole welcomed our guest speaker Richard Offen and invited members who had invited guests to introduce them.
Anne introduced Janette Newman
Ian introduced Jacquie and their son Andrew
John introduced Martin Harrison and his wife Gillian visiting Rotarians from Cockburn RC
Nick introduced his wife Rey
Mal introduced his wife Elaine
It was lovely to see so many visitors.
Everyone is invited to come next week
The guest speaker is Michelle Fyfe Assistant Police Commissioner.
Aboriginal relics have been found and carbon dated that show Aboriginals have inhabited Western Australia tens of thousands of years before European contact.
They've Done it Again
Jacquie and Ian provided the meeting with yet another great speaker.
John reported on the recent Conference saying all the topics were inspiring but
Karl O' Callaghan was a standout.
Local projects to Bunbury were interesting.
· Hands up for Kids
· Choose Respect
Next year the conference is in Fremantle.
Door prize was won by Jeff and the raffle by Elaine.
Give a Damn Give a Can
Llew asked that members please keep Sunday May 22nd to help at this event.
Michelle Fyfe Assistant Police Commissioner
Ms Michelle Fyfe graduated from the Police Academy in 1984.
Since then she has worked in a number of areas:
· 2012 awarded the Australian Police Medal for her diligent and committed service to WA Police and the Western Australian community.
and International contacts they have had a lot of success with drug seizures and closing down clandestine labs.
They are working on trying to prevent drugs entering the country and tracking suppliers.
Bruce reminded everyone of this project and asked for volunteers who can help deliver the bags and notices to about 350 houses,
· they will receive the bags by May 9th
· deliver the bags around the weekend of May 14th
· pick up the bags of food on Sunday May 22nd
The door prize was won by Greg and the Raffle by Colin.
Gillian has asked that anyone who needs to phone her do so on her personal phone 0437 146 849
If you will not be attending the meeting please email the acting Attendance Officer, Gillian Baker, before midnight on Sunday or if you need to apologise on the Monday please phone before 10.00am on Mob 0437 146 849 (Emails may not get read on Monday and cannot therefore guarantee that your apology is received).
Please DO NOT send text messages to 0435 305 199 as they do not transfer from the Club phone to the Attendance Officer's phone.
Unless Gillian receives an apology by 10.00am on the day of the meeting the meal will need to be charged to you, and the procedure to recover costs for non apology will be:
a) Attendance officer to report to Treasurer at end of each meeting names of those who didn’t show and didn’t apologise
b) Treasurer to submit all Attendance Officer reports to monthly Board meeting to authorise recovery – valid excuses accepted
c) Treasurer to issue invoices to members monthly following Board meeting based on b).
OFFICE BEARERS 2015 / 2016
Martin Houchin (Director), Greg James (Deputy), Carole Maxwell, Mal Bennett, Ian Pittaway, Gillian Baker, Jan Fairclough, Bob Rodgers, Bruce Robinson, John Sharp, Gail McCulloch
Rod Rate (Director), Jim Calcei (Deputy), Gillian Baker, Mal Bennett, Mick Donnes, Martin Houchin, Greg James, Carole Maxwell, Colin McCulloch, John Sharp
Patricia Robertson (Director), Gillian Baker (Deputy), Mal Bennett, Jeff Spickett
Bruce Robinson (Director), Greg James, Gillian Baker, Llew Withers, Winston Marsh
Jeff Spickett (Director), Patricia Robertson, Robin Hamilton
If members are unable to undertake their allocated duty on any date please arrange a swap.
The setting up Rotarians shall:
· Arrive at least 30 mins before the meeting starting time
· Retrieve the Australian flag(s), the Sergeant's gavel and gong, collection box, international pig, President's dais with Chain of Office, two bottles of wine and a gift coaster for the Guest Speaker
· The small flags shall be spread around the tables and the large flag shall be appropriately displayed
· The Sergeant's and President's items are to be placed on the President's table
· The microphone provided by Tompkins on Swan shall be turned on and tested
· At the completion of the meeting, all items shall be returned to the storeroom cupboard
The hosts shall:
· Arrive at least 30 minutes before meeting starting time
· Retrieve the wooden badge holder cabinet from the storeroom and place it within greeting area
· Greet all Rotarians with a handshake and give them their badge.
· Greet guests and welcome them and introduce them to at least two Rotarians
· Greet the guest speaker if the Chairperson is unavailable
· After the meeting, retrieve all name badges , place them in the wooden cabinet and return to storeroom
The chairperson shall:
· Read the Bulletin in advance and then contact Program Director for CV of speaker
· Arrive at Dinner Meeting venue at least 35 mins before starting time
· Greet and welcome the GS at the entrance and introduce them to the President and at least four Rotarians
· Assist the GS to setup his/her audio/visual and any other aids
· Show GS where to sit down for dinner on President's table and where to speak
· Advise GS to speak for 20-30 minutes (or as agreed with Program Director) including questions
· Introduce the GS by name and topic when requested by the Sergeant or President
· Formally introduce the GS by written CV addressing name, vocation, qualifications, family (if appropriate), interests and lastly topic
· Chair the speaker session allowing one question per Rotarian or Guest
· Terminate the session with the presentation of the gift coaster (from Secretary)
· Escort the GS to the door after the meeting (and to their vehicle if appropriate)